True Life is Stranger than Fiction

True stories from the ER, and the streets of EMS.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Shut up or get out

I've thought a long time about whether to post this or not. On one hand, I don't want to air my dirty laundry. On the other hand, it's my blog, and nobody but those who knew about it beforehand will know who or what I'm talking about anyway. It was also some years ago, and I don't plan on naming names. So, I post.

My partner and I got called in the middle of the night. I can't remember what it went out as. We arrived and found it to be a code. The BLS unit was already there w/the pt. hooked up to the AED. She was an end-stage Cancer patient w/a DNR... that was not signed by her MD. Otherwise, the story would end here.
I had to tell the family I was terribly sorry, but I had to attempt resuscitation because of a technicality. To my surprise, they said it was OK, that they wanted me to try and resuscitate. I'm in an even better mood hearing that. 3 strikes on this one already (the first being the unGodly hour).
We draged the patient into the living room, as she was wedged in between the doorway and her bed initially and I wanted more room to work. I set about starting an IV while my parter went for an airway. I'm not sure when the Engine Co. got on the scene. They were there in the living room and that's my first recollection of them being there.
I got the IV and yelled for the first round of Epi & Atropine. I love the color-coding system on the bristo-jets, so I can just say "toss me a tan one and a purple one" to anyone and get the right thing. Of course I always double-check!
I get the first round on board, and go to try intubation as my partner was unable. About this time I'm aware that the Engine Co. I/O is heckling me. He's yelling at me that we're taking too long, yadda yadda. I'm annoyed and not just for myself-he's doing this in front of the family. I'm also pissed because not only is this a patient who I am assaulting against her wishes, but everytime we get a round of drugs on board, she goes from Asystole to PEA. I think it would have been atrocious to actually succeed at this resuscitiation, but I've got no mattress to squirt the drugs into. (No, I wouldn't really do that, it's just a saying.)
I get the tube in, and then we're ready to package her up and move on down the road. I said something to the effect of "There is a God" when I got the tube, due to my wanting to have it done, and being flustered by the Engine I/O.
We got outside the house w/the patient on the Reeves stretcher (or maybe a backboard, I can't remember) and the I/O is still barking at us to hurry up. He also makes some comment to me about how things weren't going well. I said something to the effect of her being dead so it can't be any worse. I reiterate that this is outside, away from the family. I was flustered, but by no means stupid.
We transport to the hospital where the patient (thankfully) is pronounced. We are getting ready to clean up, do paperwork and replace our drugs. I go outside to get the drug box, and the Engine Co. is there to pick up one of their personnel I borrowed. The I/O is there. He and I proceed to get into a screaming match w/each-other in the Ambulance Bay. He actually told me he thought some things I said to the family were inappropriate. Me?!?! What about his verbal abuse of the Medic Crew in front of the family? Surely that's not winning any awards for professionalism. I was stymied. The argument was mercifully halted by my partner coming out and yelling at him that we had work to do. I'm still grateful to her for doing that.
We went inside and talked about things. She was pissed, too. She was pretty newly released as a Medic and this was our first code together. This was a good situation for us since the pressure should have been off to some degree. I feel like we lost a good opportunity there to feel each-other out. On the other hand, we received a different kind of bonding experience.
After all was said and done, I had an exhaustively long talk with the Chief at the time as did the other party involved. I left that person a message saying that I didn't think that we should have argued when and where we did, it wasn't the time or place, could we talk about it, yadda yadda. He never called me back. I've not spoken to him since. I gave him one chance, which apparently was more than I should've. I still do not understand what the damn hurry was for a patient who was dead and wanted to stay that way.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry that happened to you. I am new to OWL and don't know many people yet.

    I am on Flavia's crew, so please say hi if you see me.

    Susan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home