True Life is Stranger than Fiction

True stories from the ER, and the streets of EMS.

Monday, December 26, 2005

Another crackhead I coded (Alt. title: I hate my OMD.)

My protocols are kinda screwy. One of the drugs I don't carry is Magnesium Sulfate. I'm sure you can see where this is going, being about another crackhead and all.
While I was still precepting as a Medic, we got a CPR call in the summertime. It was hot, and the guy was dead. He was reportedly smoking crack on the back stoop, came inside, and promptly dropped dead.
He was in Torsades-de-Pointes. Move along, nothing to see [do] here. So, we shock him anyway. I get an IV, and we push Lidocaine anyway. We do have Amiodarone, but I hate it. It's expense ($1/mg.) and habit of causing hypotension also turn me off.
Of course none of our actions did anything for the guy. I go to tube him, but can't. My preceptor gets the tube and we hit the road. I actually didn't get a successful tube during the whole time I was precepting, but I haven't missed one since I got turned-over. Go figure.
En-route, I continue to shock the crap outta the guy, to no avail.
We get to the ER, and Dr. Dave the Trauma Magnet is there. He's pissed because the pt. needed Mag and didn't get it, and by this time, it was too late.
Time of death...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home