True Life is Stranger than Fiction

True stories from the ER, and the streets of EMS.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

The hazards of multitasking

This happened a few years ago in our ED.
One particular evening, "The Bat Phone" rang. EMS was bringing in a working code.
They arrive with the now resuscitated man. However, they do not have him intubated. Seems the patient was at a local nudie bar, enjoying a steak, some booze, and the show. Lo and behold, he was distracted (however did that happen?) and choked on a piece of steak. Bystanders (bydancers?) apparently either did nothing for him or didn't know what to do. (Maybe they were all blonde?)
EMS arrives on the scene after the guy has arrested due to lack of intervention. They proceed with the code, but are unable to retreive the foreign body or get a definitive airway. Despite this, they pull off an herculean feat and resuscitate him.
Jump ahead to their arrival in our ED. The EDP comes in and his first order of business is to get the patient intubated. He does so. Then, he goes in with the Magills and pulls out the biggest "bite" of steak I've ever seen. It is so big, that we literally have to shove it into a urine cup. I have to give the Doc mad props for getting an ET tube, or anything for that matter, past this gargantuan slab of meat.
Unfortunately, the patient deteriorated over the next few days, and ultimately succumbed to his anoxic brain injury.
Let this be a warning to all who would engage in drinking, dining and debauchery (simulteneously).

6 Comments:

  • At 5:53 PM, Blogger DTXMATT12 said…

    S.:

    Where have you been? Glad to see you back out here. OK, a few issues: 1. I can't pass on reminding your readers that YOU are blonde; 2. Please tell me that this was the 'ol Dauphine Steakhouse! That would make it all too funny; and 3. Those anoxic brain injuries are friggin' bogus!

    See you out on the street.

    DTXMATT12

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger S. said…

    Eric-
    I bet this one was 1.5" SQUARED.

    DTXMATT12-
    Been so busy at work, it's crazy. Also injured myself about 9 weeks ago so have been unable to run. I miss it! HOPE to see ya'll on the street soon. Maybe even @ the poker table, if'n you'll have me.
    You are correct-Dauphine's it was! Oh, the irony! Blonde, guilty as charged. At least my boobs are real LOL
    How do you mean bogus?
    -S.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger DTXMATT12 said…

    You are, of course, welcome at the poker table whenever. Sorry you were hurt, I forgot. Anoxic brain injuries are bogus because of the usual irrecoverable side effects (paralysis, PVS, drooling, death, etc.) that go along with them. Some people do better than others, though....

    DTXMATT12

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger S. said…

    DTXMATT12-

    OK, I took bogus as meaning "bullshit" not "sucking".

    I should be OK in another 3 weeks of Physical Therapy. I hope.

     
  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Stacey said…

    I was all ready to lecture you about the blonde comment until I read that you are blonde too. So in that case its ok. hahaha.
    But anyway I just wanted to let you know that I really like your blog... Keep up the good work

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger S. said…

    Stacey, Thanks for the positive feedback!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home